"The Martian lives on the planet Mars and loves Pork Rice Bowls! We hear they plan to open a pork-rice-bowl restaurant in the next month,"
The Martian (火星人?, Kasei Hito) is an alien from Mars that appears in Rhythm Heaven Megamix. It is seen alongside Translator Tom (通訳者?, Tsūyakusha) who bears a message for Ground Control (センター?, Center) situated in Houston in First Contact, and alongside Farmer Bob, translating his message to Mars Control (火星?, Kasei) situated in Glourbston in Second Contact.
Some time before First Contact, Earthling astronauts visited Mars, and they left behind pork rice bowls, which the Martians fell in love with. At least a month later, they opened a pork-rice-bowl restaurant in Glourbston. In Researchers, the first manned mission to Mars is carried out. As the rocket nears its destination, the researchers at Ground Control decide that since they're about to see a Martian for the first time, it'd be fun to guess what it'll look like. Chuck draws a very robotic design, while Furukawa draws a more alien-esque creature. Zach draws a jellyfish-like design, which no one thinks is likely to be what the alien will actually look like. Finally, the great day arrives, and the researchers are greeted by Translator Tom standing next to a jellyfish-like Martian. Afterwards, Thomas and Kevin are seen at a Pork Rice Bowl shop, saying their designs were better.
The Martian's first proper appearance is in First Contact itself, where it wishes to relay a message to the people of Earth. It asks Translator Tom to translate, which he does by repeating the rhythm of the Martian's speech, and the Martian's telemopathic lingualyzer handles the rest. If Translator Tom follows the rhythm correctly, he properly translates the message, in which the Martian greets the people of Earth, jokingly asking if they want to meet its leader, and expressing that Earthlings left pork rice bowls the last time they visited Mars. Overall, the Martian's tone is very friendly, with some jokes included. If Translator Tom messes up the rhythm, he mistranslates the message, making the Martian sound like a jerk who is constantly hungry and cares not for the humans. After a successful translation, Ground Control remarks that the Martians like pork rice bowls like they do. In the Try Again epilogue, the Martian is angry at Translator Tom for mistranslating its message. In the OK epilogue, Translator Tom is seen having fun with the Martian with Space Umpire visible behind them, while in the Superb epilogue, Translator Tom brings the Martian back home to Earth.
After this message, Earth quickly began a culinary exchange with Mars, to the surprise of many. The Martian appears again in Second Contact. This time, it has travelled to Earth, and encountered an Earthling, namely Farmer Bob, and attempts to translate what he says. If the Martian translates correctly, it relays the farmer's message of being an Earthling who is single, but claiming to be better looking than most, essentially attepting to flirt with the ladies among the Martians. He wishes to talk with the Martians about planets over tea, and work up his courage to tell a woman that he has loved pork rice bowls for a very long time. He ends his message with a joke about getting a tentacle graft. If the Martian messes up the rhythm, it mistranslates the message, spouting nonsense, some of which is unintelligible. After a successful translation, Mars Control seem to be left uncomfortable from Farmer Bob's advances. In the Try Again epilogue, the Martian is confused, asking Farmer Bob to re-explain to it what a verb is. In the OK epilogue, it shares a bowl of pork rice bowls with Farmer Bob, and in the Superb epilogue, it brings the Earthling back home to Mars.
In Citrus Remix, what appears to be the Martian with an orange-shaped head seems to be getting interviewed by a lady, who translates what it says on TV. The translations comprise of various dishes. In Left-Hand Remix, the Martian is seen translating Farmer Bob's message again, where he states that he is looking for a martian bride.
The Martian appears in Rhythm Tengoku The Best Plus Comic, first in 01 同窓会 (Reunion), where it interrupts the reunion at the Café. The Barista asks who they are, after which the Martian leaves in his ship. In 02 火星人再襲来 (Martian Reinvasion), the Martian returns to the Café a few days after the reunion, with the Barista trying to welcome them to Rhythm Heaven, as the extraterrestrial moves in too close for comfort. In 33レスラーとファン (Wrestler and Fans), where it has its picture taken with Wrestler. In 38記念日 (Anniversary), the Martian calls Tibby to tell him about Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+ having sold 650,000 units, but as it speaks in its own language, which Tibby doesn't understand, he hangs up, thinking it was a prank call. In Language, the Martian tells Tibby that it has now mastered the Earthling language. Tibby asks the alien about the pork rice bowl he was promised the previous day, to which the Martian reacts with alien speak.
Ground Control makes an appearance in the opening cutsene to Intro Games in WarioWare: Get It Together!, where they are startled after a giant Wario nose passes by one of their sattelites. A glitchier version of this cutscene is used for Anything Goes, which includes the Traveller from an unrelated cutscene among the crew. In the movie Roll Credits, the researchers are given names: Doc, Kevin, Richard, Adam, Zach, Thomas, Furukawa, and Chuck.
Artwork of Translator Tom from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Artwork of Martian from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Sprite of Farmer Bob from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Screenshot of Ground Control from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Screenshot of Mars Control from Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Tibby in a Translator Tom costume
Martian's cameo in a Daigasso! Band Brothers P comic
Cameo in WarioWare: Get It Together!
- The jellyfish-like appearance of the Martian is a popular depiction of aliens in Japanese media. This design can be found in many works, including Game & Wario, and in the epilogue to Spaceball.
- The pork rice bowls spoken of throughout the games is a popular Japanese dish called Katsudon.
- Space Umpire appears among the members of Mars Control.
- In the middle of Second Contact, Farmer Bob mentions the name of a woman, which is randomly selected from a list of 10 names, which varies across languages. These names are:
- Katherine, Dorothy, Jennifer, Julianne, Katrina, Lillian, Marianne, Marilyn, Mary Sue, and Natalie in the English version.
- Maryline, Dorothée, Jennifer, Samira, Katrina, Isabelle, Conchita, Danièla, Marie-Jeanne, and Nathalie in the French version.
- Katja, Luisa, Nadja, Carolin, Sophie, Katjuscha, Marianne, Natascha, Ann Sophie, and Franziska in the German version, with the use of "meiner" (my?) in front of some names implying he feels affection for them.
- Clorinda, Dorotea, Jennifer, Giuliana, Monica, Liliana, Barbara, Marilyn, Giovanna, and Natalie in the Italian version.
- Isabel, Beatriz, Bárbara, Juliana, Cristina, Daniela, Martina, Elena, Gabriela, and Natalia in the Spanish version.
- In the Japanese and Korean versions, the same names are used as in the English version, with the exception of Jennifer, Katrina, and Mary Sue being Jamie, Katie, and Mary. They were renamed in the English version to keep the amount of syllables during the pattern consistent.
- Similarly, the inclusion of "meiner" (my?) in the German version (stated above) is also to keep the amount of syllables consistent for those specific names.
- In Citrus Remix, a family of seven humans and a dog are seen in place of Ground Control and Mars Control.
- One of the incorrect messages in Second Contact in Left-Hand Remix is "Let's we go, amigo!", a phrase used frequently by Tibby.
- The information given in the Rhythm Item descriptions is mostly consistent accross languages, however some details are changed. For example, in the Japanese and Korean versions, it is stated that a Fire Bowl (火つ丼?, Hitsudon) restaurant would be opening on Earth, which sells a modified version of katsudon, improved to suit Martian tastes. In the Spanish version, it is stated that several restaurants have opened on Mars rather than just one. In the French version, it is stated that Earthlings were amazed at the Martians' cooking skills, while in the Italian version, they were dissapointed upon trying Martian food. While most versions make the comparison that the planet Mars looks like a space meatball, the Spanish version claims that this makes astronauts hungry when they land on it. In the Japanese and Korean versions, this item's description instead shares an interview with a pilot, who was shocked at how close Mars turned out to be, after losing conciousness from the sudden impact upon landing on the planet. Claude, the director of Mars Control, considers the pilot to be a lucky guy.
- Martian makes a cameo in a Daigasso! Band Brothers P comic, alongside Tibby and Red, attending Ashley's live performance.
In Other Languages
|A reference to the lyrics "Ground Control to Major Tom" in the David Bowie song "Space Oddity"|
|Houston (Likely a reference to the popular line "Houston, we have a problem"|
Interpreter Yuri (Likely a reference to Yuri Gagarin)
|Spanish||La estación espacial||The Space Station|
|Italian||Stazione spaziale||Space Station|
|Glourb + Houston|
- Nintendo Badge Arcade (Japanese)
- "Houston à interprète Youri :" (Houston to interpreter Youri:) ~ Caption for results of Interprète martien-terrien (Martian-Earthling Interpreter), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (French)
- "Glourbston à fermier Gustave :" (Glourbston to Farmer Gustave:) ~ Caption for results of Interprète terrien-martien (Earthling-Martian Interpreter), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (French)
- "Some Earthling astronauts left this delicious dish behind when they visited Mars. Everyone here loved it! I hear that there's a pork-rice-bowl restaurant opening here next month!" ~ Pork Rice Bowl, Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- "J'adore la gastronomie terrienne ; le katsudon est mon plat préféré. C'est un mets japonais à base de porc pané et de riz. J'ai ouvert un resto de katsudon à Glourbston, et ça marche du tonnerre !" (I love earthly gastronomy; katsudon is my favorite dish. It is a Japanese dish made with breaded pork and rice. I opened a katsudon restaurant in Glourbston, and it's working like crazy!) ~ Katsudon, Rhythm Paradise Megamix (French)
- (Hello! I come from Mars!) (I come bearing a message...) (for all the people of Earth.) (Will you translate?) (Just listen to the rhythm of my speech...) (And repeat it back. My telemopathic lingualyzer will do the rest.) (Let's practice a bit.) ~ Dialogue in First Contact, Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- "They like pork rice bowls? Hey, WE like those too!" ~ Results for First Contact, Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- "Everyone was surprised at how quickly we started a culinary exchange with Mars, but they shouldn't have been. Look at it! It's basically a space meatball!" ~ Mars, Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- "We were feeling the love...unfortunately." ~ Results for Second Contact, Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- WarioWare: Get It Together! - True Ending & Cast Roll
- "Ich nehm' meinen... Mut zusammen und sage... meiner Katja.../meiner Nadja.../meiner Sophie... dass ich... schon seit... so langer Zeit... furchtbar verliebt bin in... dieses Reisgericht!" (I gather my... courage and tell... my Katja.../my Nadja.../my Sophie... that I... have been... terribly in love... for... such a long time with... this rice dish!) ~ Dialogue in Der zweite Kontakt (The second contact), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (German)
- "地球人が、忘れていったかつ丼が、火星人に大ウケ！火星にて、一大ブームとなった。今度、火星人好みにアレンジされた、「火つ丼」のお店が、地球にもできるらしい。地球でもウワサの「火つ丼」を食べられる日は近い！" (The katsudon the Earthlings left on Mars was a big hit with Martians! It became a hot topic on Mars. Now, it is said that a "hitsudon" restaurant, suited to Martian tastes, will open on Earth as well. The day is near when we will be able to eat the rumored "hitsudon" on Earth!) ~ かつ丼 (Katsudon) description, Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+
- "지구인이 깜빡하고 두고 간 덮밥이화성인에게 큰 인기를 끌며 화성 내에서화제의 중심이 되었다. 조만간 화성인의입맛에 맞게 개량된 「불덮밥」 가게가지구에도 생긴다고. 지구에서도「불덮밥」을 먹을 날이 머지않았다!" (The rice bowl that the Earthlings left behind on Mars became very popular with Martians and became a topic of discussion. Soon, there will be a "Fire Bowl" restaurant on Earth that has been improved to suit the taste of Martians. It's coming soon!) ~ 덮밥 (Rice bowl) description, Rhythm Sesang: The Best+
- "Unos terrícolas dejaron esta delicia cuando visitaron Marte, y nos ha gustado tanto a todos que ya han abierto varios restaurantes que lo ofrecen como único plato." (Some earthlings left this delight when they visited Mars, and we all liked it so much that several restaurants have already opened that offer it as the only dish.) ~ Arroz con cerdo (Rice with pork) description, Rhythm Paradise Megamix (Spanish)
- "Tout le monde s'étonne que les Martiens soient aussi doués pour la gastronomie. Mais réfléchissez un peu : ils vivent sur une boulette de viande cosmique, quand même !" (Everyone is surprised that the Martians are so good at cooking. But think about it: they live on a cosmic meatball, anyway!) ~ Mars, Rhythm Paradise Megamix (French)
- "Erano tutti emozionati all'idea di provare il cibo marziano, ma alla fine la delusione ha avuto il sopravvento. D'altronde questa cosa non è altro che una specie di polpetta spaziale!" (Everyone was excited to try Martian food, but in the end the disappointment got the better of them. Besides, this thing is nothing more than a kind of space meatball!) ~ Marte (Mars), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (Italian)
- "Si te fijas, Marte parece una albóndiga suspendida en el spacio. No me extraña que los astronautas tengan tanta hambre cuando aterrizan allí." (If you look closely, Mars looks like a meatball suspended in space. No wonder astronauts are so hungry when they land there.) ~ Marte (Mars), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (Spanish)
- "インタビューで、「意外に近くて、びっくりしました」とパイロットは言った。ロケットはっしゃのしょうげきで気をうしない、起きたら火星に着いていたらしい。火星センター長の、クロードさんは「彼、ツイてるなあ」とわらっていた。" (In an interview, the pilot said, "I was surprised at how close it was." He was knocked unconscious by the rocket's impact, and when he woke up, he had arrived at Mars. Claude, the director of the Mars Center, laughed and said, "He's a lucky guy.") ~ 火星 (Mars), Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+
- "파일럿은 인터뷰에서 「의외로 가까워서 놀랐습니다」라고 말했다. 로켓 발사의 충격으로 정신을 잃었다가 일어나니 화성이었다고. 화성 센터장인 클로드씨는 「참 운이 좋은 남자로군.」이라며 웃음을 감추지 못했다." (The pilot said in an interview, "I was surprised that it was unexpectedly close." He lost consciousness from the impact of the rocket launch, and when he woke up, he was on Mars. Claude, the head of the Mars Center, couldn't hide his laughter, saying, "You're such a lucky man.") ~ 화성 (Mars), Rhythm Sesang: The Best+
- ニンテンドーキッズスペース | 『大合奏！バンドブラザーズＰ(3DS)』マンガ・バーバラちゃんP バーバラ＆アシュリー｜任天堂 (Nintendo Kids Space | "Daigasso! Band Brothers P (3DS)" Comic Barbara-chan P - Barbara & Ashley | Nintendo)
- "Me llamo Bablubb." (My name is Bablubb.) ~ Dialogue in Primer contacto (First contact), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (Spanish)
- "Mi chiamo Blorgxyz." (My name is Blorgxyz.) ~ Dialogue in Primo contatto (First contact), Rhythm Paradise Megamix (Italian)